What both buyers and sellers need to know about home inspections
When it comes to buying and selling real estate home inspections are one of the most important things. Just hiring an inspector isn’t enough, so here is a great article on what buyers and sellers need to know about home inspections and real estate in Whitehorse.
BuyersWhen buying Yukon houses for sale here is what buyers need to know.
Hiring the right home inspector
When it comes to getting your home inspected you want to make sure it is done by the right inspector. Here are some things you’ll need to know when choosing who to hire:
- Ask your real estate agents Whitehorse who they recommend.
- Make sure the company is bonded and insured.
- Find out whether the company does only inspections, or if they do repairs and renovations as well.
- Find out what is included in the inspection and how long it generally takes.
- Ask for references.
- Make sure you are allowed to be present during the inspection.
- After the inspection request a copy of the report.
Questions for the home inspector
There are some questions you need to ask the inspector before and after the inspection, such as:
- How much will the inspection cost?
- What is covered in the home inspection?
- What is the process of a home inspection?
- If you’re unsure about anything, ask them to explain themselves.
- If it is a big issue, ask them how important it is, and how much it will cost to fix.
- Ask them advice on anything that needs to be fixed.
SellersWhen selling real estate in Whitehorse, here is what sellers need to know.
How sellers can prepare for an inspection
The first rule of thumb for any seller is to not hide anything during an inspection, as home inspectors are professionals and they are going to find them anyway, and you could possibly be breaking the law by doing so.
Now that you know that, here are some ways you can prepare:
- If you have already moved out of the home, make sure the power is still on.
- Make sure all light bulbs are replaced before the inspection as the inspector will be testing them all to make sure the power is working properly.
- Make sure closets are clean of any clutter so the inspector can see clearly.
- Move items away from basement walls so the inspector can check for cracks or water leaks.
- If your home has an attic, make sure it is accessible to the inspector.
- Change the filters in the furnace and make sure the service tags are visible.
As noted in the beginning of this article, home inspections are vital when buying and selling Whitehorse real estate. For more information about this or any of your whitehorse yt real estate needs, contact Terence Tait today.